Stuffed Red Bell Peppers
(*double the recipe to have extra for 2 lunches during the week. Besides, ground turkey comes sold by the pound anyway!)
5 adult servings
- 5 red bell peppers, top sliced, cored and seeded
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 pound ground turkey
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon, dried thyme
- 1/2 tablespoon dried sage
- 3 mushrooms, diced
- 1/4 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup broccoli, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
Preheat oven to 400degress.
In a large saucepan over medium heat, heat olive oil. Add ground turkey and saute until brown. Add onion and garlic. Cook till tender. Add thyme, sage, mushrooms, peas, broccoli. Saute 4 minutes. Take off heat and add cayenne pepper, salt and pepper and rice. Mix well.
Using a spoon, spoon rice mixture into peppers, pressing them down to stuff. Place stuffed peppers in a 8×8 baking dish, standing up. Bake 40 minutes. Serve
Day 1: slice the stuffed pepper and place in a pita with lettuce.
Day 2: place a bed of shredded lettuce and diced tomato in a container. Cut up stuffed pepper and add to salad bed. Top with shredded cheese.