Vegetable Bean Soup
I Love this soup!
Because I can throw just about everything in the pot together and let it do it’s thing!
Ingredients: (don’t be scared by the long list)
2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 big carrot, chopped
1 small purple onion, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon dried cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon chili powder
4 cups organic chicken or vegetable stock
3 cups black beans or hardy bean of choice (can use 2 15ounce cans rinsed well)
2 cups canned diced tomatoes
1 cup organic frozen corn kernels
Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a large stock pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add celery, carrot, onion, and bell peppers. Sauté 8 minutes.
2. Add garlic and spices. Cook 2 minutes.
3. Add stock, beans and tomatoes. Bring to a boil and reduce heat. Cover and simmer 20 minutes.
4. Add corn. Let simmer 5 minutes.
5. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve!
To make it come together faster, you can:
– chop all veggies in advance
– complete steps 1-3, then add to a slow cooker on low for 2-3 hours
– make ahead and reheat (I sometimes do thus before we leave for church or after school activities)