So Yummy and perfect for a busy week!
My oldest daughter has started 2 hour swim practices thus week for a big meet coming up. So between school, homework and other activities, my afternoons are jam packed!
I love that I could prep this meal on Sunday, then throw it in the oven later in the week.
Sugar and Spiced Chicken
1 cup kosher salt
1 cup maple sugar
1/4 cup black peppercorns
1/2 tablespoon ground cloves
1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
1/2 tablespoon ground sage
6-7 pounds cut up organic chicken
3 medium onions, roughly chopped
2 big carrots, roughly chopped
3 celery stalks, roughly chopped
2 tablespoon thyme
– place chicken in a large ziplock bag.
– fill bag with enough water to cover chicken.
– add brine ingredients and shake (over sink in case bag isn’t completely sealed! ;)) to combine.
– cut up all veggies and thyme and place in another bag or container.
Day of cooking:
– preheat oven to 400 degrees
– drain chicken
– place chicken and veggies in a large roasting pan
– add 1 cup water to pan
– roast for 1 hour – 1 hour 30 minutes or till chicken registers 160 degrees on a meat thermometer.
Serve with a spinach salad!
It can easily be made ahead earlier in the day, then reheated at dinner also. It makes wonderful leftovers!